Our Latest News We are proud to announce that we have been voted "Best Orthopaedic Group," "Best Physical Therapy Group" and "Best Orthopaedist - Dr. Brandon Burris" in Cobb County! As the safety of our patients and staff is our top priority, we are requiring that everyone wear face masks when they enter our buildings. We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 outbreak via the CDC. For more information, click here.

Thanks for printing!  Don't forget to come back to Pinnacle Orthopaedics for fresh articles!

The Role of Physical Therapy After Carpal Tunnel Release

Carpal tunnel release is a surgical procedure involving cutting through the ligament that's putting pressure on the median nerve. This is a necessary procedure after nonsurgical treatments have been exhausted without significant improvements to the function of the hand.

Following carpal tunnel release, the patient will have to wear a splint or bandage on the wrist for a period of two weeks. Our orthopedic doctor usually asks patients to undergo physical therapy as soon as the stitches from the surgery are removed.

Physical Therapy To Aid in Carpal Tunnel Release Recovery

Although 80% of patients with carpal tunnel syndrome respond well to conservative treatments, the remaining 20% need surgery to recover. But while surgery may remove the pain and discomfort on the affected hand, less than 50 percent of patients actually feel as if their hand has returned to normal function. This is where physical therapy can greatly help.

Recovery after a carpal tunnel release takes several months to a full year. But undergoing physical therapy in our Canton clinic can:

  • Speed up the hand's healing process

  • Improve the finger's grip strength

  • Prevent stiffness of the hands and arms

  • Slowly restore the range of motion

Pinnacle Orthopaedics physical therapy for patients who underwent carpal tunnel release includes a series of motion exercises as taught and guided by a licensed physical therapist. If necessary, the therapist may also advise patients to continue using a splint or brace while sleeping or working, depending on the recovery progress or the patient's activities.


Physical Therapy To Determine the Root of Pain Post-Surgery

Post-operatively, some carpal tunnel release patients could still feel pain and numbness in their hands three months following the operation. While it may be a fairly common side effect of the operation, the root of the problem may actually be determined through physical therapy.

Working together with our orthopedic surgeon, our physical therapist will help in determining if there's a surgical injury, neurogenic pain, and other associated conditions. Working with a therapist may also help the patient manage these uncomfortable moments during the recovery period.

This process is more than just a physical examination as it can also be for patient education. By doing a thorough exam, such as measuring the strength of the fingers and hands, our physical therapist can advise the patient on how to do correct movements and exercises that will make them feel more comfortable.


Learn more about Pinnacle Orthopaedics - Orthopedic near me

At Pinnacle, we utilize the most up-to-date technologies and surgical techniques to provide our patients with the highest quality orthopedic care. We have Fellowship Trained Specialists who tackle issues from acute injuries to chronic problems. They diagnose musculoskeletal disorders including the hand, foot and ankle, trauma and fractures, joint replacement and reconstruction, sports medicine and many more.

Our orthopedic team performs non-surgical and surgical procedures, treats sports injuries and repairs trauma to the knee, using the most advanced knowledge, treatment and methods.

We are one with the community. Not only do our doctors get involved in promoting awareness at numerous schools and sporting events, but they also provide exceptional orthopedic services at 5 convenient locations. With offices in Canton, Hiram, Marietta East Cobb, Marietta, and Woodstock, and a Surgery Center in Woodstock, you know you can reach our physical therapist and orthopedic surgeon with ease.

If you still have any questions or wish to consult a member of our staff, please contact our headquarters:

  • Phone: 770-427-5717

  • Fax: 770-429-8520

  • Visit us at 300 Tower Road, Suite 101, Marietta, GA 30060

  • Make an enquire on our contact page



The material contained on this site is for informational purposes only and DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE PROVIDING OF MEDICAL ADVICE, and is not intended to be a substitute for independent professional medical judgment, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your health.